Sunday, January 18, 2009

OK, come on.

Maybe it is a bit stereotypical for me to have never given football the time of day, but in recent years, I really did try a bit harder to learn to appreciate the game. It's just not happening.

Dave managed to talk me into going to OU's football games, and I actually did enjoy myself. But not for the game (110, of course). It was because OU has an amazing marching band, I got talk and not get yelled at by someone who is trying so hard to concentrate on the big screen in front of him (honestly - you really don't have to listen to the damn commentary. If you miss it the first time around, they generally repeat themselves about three times so what is the big deal if you miss it once?), it was social and had a fun atmosphere. Someone explain to me exactly what is so fun about a game that huddles for a minute, actually does something with the ball for about four seconds, before play is stopped because someone got tackled or run out of bounds or whatever, then there is a timeout, they huddle again, and repeat the process? How is that remotely exciting?

And, the life expectancy of pro players with all of their concussions and injuries is rather depressing. How could it possibly be worth all of the abuse they put themselves through? It, unsurprisingly, has the highest injury and death rate of any sport in America. According to the Career Journal, an average professional's career lasts just under four years, not to mention long-term disability after they retire. It seems utterly senseless to me.

Maybe if I actually watched an entire game with someone who was willing to be patient with me and answer questions and with an absence of people screaming at the television every time someone actually moves the ball...

But probably not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will watch with you niki. Worry not. I think you dont like watching because you dont like beer. beer is a huge, important part.

Nicole Bonomini said...

heh, i'll try Rum next time and see if i warm up to it. =P

Kat said...

I'm going to totally agree with Laura on this one... if you're distressed because you don't get football, you need to drink more. Try a mojito... That's what I was drinking yesterday at the ESPN Zone here in Vegas during the Steelers-Ravens game... Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Steelers???

Zen Rocker! said...

I'd just like to say that while Joe may have shushed you once (I certainly don't remember)... I should at least get a little credit for happily watching the game and chatting with you and answering all your questions and all that... even though you were rooting for the Ravens the whole time. :P

Nicole Bonomini said...

I am with you Kat. I always go for the underdogs, which of course makes me dislike the Steelers cause they always win. heh.

Anonymous said...

They do not always win, that is a recent achievement. I like them much more than any other team. at least their players are retarded.