Sunday, November 8, 2009

Teen Fantasy ... my Ultimate Guilty Pleasure

I can't get enough of teen fantasy, no matter how bad the writing is, how cliched the vampire world is, or how predictable the characters are.

In the last week or so, I've read:
  • Melissa Da La Cruz's latest in the Blue Bloods series, "The Van Allen Legacy"
  • The entire Mortal Instruments series (thus far) from Cassandra Clare -- City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass
  • Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
And I still have to catch up on the latest House of Night novel from P.C. Cast.
 
I know I'm not the only one, but I still have to force myself to admit that I read them, sometimes... particularly when people at work ask me what I'm reading. People in the health care profession think I am odd just for reading as much as I do, let alone the fact that more than half of what I read is young adult, and the rest mostly sci fi or fantasy.

A lot of them, I only read for the cheesy predictable plots. I like vampire romances. =P But Melissa Marr's writing actually has some depth and is more enjoyable. Her world of Fairie has some serious mythological allusions in it -- from Bananach to the rules and traditions of the four courts.


 My copy of "Fragile Eternity" is a miscut first edition. The first 26 pages or so were all stuck together at the top of the pages. I had never seen it before. Kind of cool.


No comments: