Monday, June 15, 2009

So... I bought a house

Yeah, I am actually investing in Michigan when everyone else is leaving and losing jobs. Well.

I've decided since I, once again, am having trouble updating this thing on a consistent basis, that I would try to use it to post house/decorating ideas. The four people I know of that read this thing are all much more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am, and can also match things. Both big pluses when giving a house a makeover.

And the house I bought is definitely in need of a makeover. It is entirely livable, but nearly every room is covered in horrible 1970's floral print wallpaper. The hardwood floors in one of the bedrooms is covered with ugly carpet. The kitchen and bathroom share a vinyl floor that probably wasn't a good choice even in the '60s. So, before I move in, I want to at least paint the bedrooms and get rid of the carpet.

So... as I come up with anything that comes remotely close to a design/idea possibility, I'm throwing it up.

Up first: I have this cherry oak sort of dresser, but it's normal and boring and I want to spruce it up a bit. Ignoring the price, do you like any of these knobs?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22031814&ref=sr_gallery_12&&ga_search_query=knobs&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=5&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title


http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19163764&ref=sr_gallery_13&&ga_search_query=knobs&ga_search_type=all&ga_page=51&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first one is way better. But I suggest you think about the color theme and look your going for in the room you're putting it in first. Trying to make a whole room match your knobs is hard to do.

Kat said...

Yeah I like the first ones better, too, but for a cherry oak wood, the colors may not meld well (depends on how dark or "cheery" it is, I think). If its a really reddish color (as opposed to say, a strawberry blond) the first ones may have too much color... Though I do really like the 2nd ones, as well, but I tend to be more of a minimalist

Nicole Bonomini said...

Yeah I like the first ones the best too, but i'm not sure how well they would match, and there are only four of them and I need ten. =( So, I've been checking Etsy.com... but do you guys have any other ideas for hand painted/vintage decor and stuff?

Thomas said...

screw knobs. You need to rip out all the hardwood floors and paint the cement slab dark green.

It is the latest in style. I have received countless complements from our house.

Anonymous said...

Like I said, start with a good base, and then you can spend the rest of forever in awesome antique stores... or goodwill.

Anonymous said...

Thomas, you have floors now. Nice ones. Ikea ones. I think, I never get to come over so I'm pretty sure it's just a rumor.

Kat said...

My friend Dan goes to the Restore (run by Habitat for Humanity, and it goes by various similar names depending on where you are) all the time, and he found these stellar antique wooden doors for his outside doors.

Our style is very "hodge-podge of our travels," so I don't know much about antique stuff. What's nice about your place is the hardwood floors... they go with everything. And anything wood that you buy can be stained, so if you look at wood furniture and stuff, don't worry about the color.

I'm also a fan of ceramic dishware and cups that you can store on shelves and hang from cabinets that are visible in the kitchen (as in, not in a cabinet) and look nice and hanging pots and pans from the wall or ceiling (check Ikea for the pieces needed; they're pretty cheap; I can send you photos of ours, if you want). It's not "antique" per say, but it is kinda quaint farmhouse. And not storing stuff in cabinets actually helps you save space in small kitchens (though yours doesn't seem that small).

Oh, and you can always by plain knobs and paint them yourselves. It was be very unique and a bonding experience. Like making Christmas ornaments together or something.

Nicole Bonomini said...

Aww, all very good advice. Thank you guys! It's true -- I really need to worry about painting the place first, but Neil keeps telling me that I have to paint around the decorations so things match or something.