Saturday, January 20, 2007

Studying Abroad

I studied abroad at the University of Wales, Swansea in 2004.

At the time, I thought I was special, and lucky to be able to go. But I think I was wrong. Anyone can do it. And so many people do today -- just check out Facebook, so many people I know, and don't know, have pictures of themselves all over the world, with one of the most popular destinations being the U.K. There are pictures that are identical to mine in every way -- except that another person is standing where I did, once.

Pictures of another guy in front of Stonehenge or in front of the Roman Bath in, you guessed it, Bath. You would think I would be happy that other people can share in some of the amazing experiences I was able to have. But I'm not, not really. It just makes me ache. I miss it, and I wonder if I could ever be that happy again.

When I started college, it was my dream to find a job in the U.K., get a flat in London, and live there. It's amazing how quickly your plans can change. And now that I know the U.K. is out of the picture, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life.

Eh. In the wise words of Orson Scott Card in his best book ever: "Life is vile, but at least I'm one of the chosen victims."

1 comment:

Monty said...

In my experience, the people who think they know what they're doing at this point in life are the ones that end up doing something completely different.